Trackletes run at Drake Relays

Members of the girls’ track team pose with “Spike the bulldog” outside of the Drake stadium. Tallett Photo.

Maria Steffen, Sports Writer

As many people sat in the comfort of their warm homes on April 27-28, nine Xavier track athletes braved the rain and the 38 degree temperature as they ran at the Drake Relays. The Drake Relays is an event that allows schools to compete against teams in all other classes, unlike at state where schools only compete against other schools in their same class.

Senior Katie Tallet qualified for the 3,000-meter run and placed 18th out of 21 runners. The 4×100 meter relay qualified with juniors Theresa Lampe, Grace Miller, and Anna Parr and senior Kiana Stanek. They placed 68th out of 80 teams.

After participating in the Drake Relays, the 4×100 was able to set some new goals for themselves with state track coming up.

“Our new goal is to get as many races to qualify for state as possible and to come back to Drake with confidence in our races and determination to do our best,” Parr said.

On the boys  end, the  4×100 meter relay qualified with freshman Kaiden Cuevas, sophomore Aaron Larson, junior Cole Goerdt, and senior John Rocca. They placed 57th out of 80 teams.

However, the Drake Relays are not all about the finish, it is also about having fun.

“My favorite thing was watching all of the professional athletes run and see how amazing they are,” Goerdt says.

The girls’ track team ran on Tuesday, May 2, at the Prairie Relays and runs today, Thursday, May 4, at the MVC Divisional meet in Waterloo. The boys’ track team runs today, Thursday, May 4, at the MVC Divisional meet at Loras College.

Maria Steffen

Sports Writer