Band garage sale

Students+direct+a+customer+at+the+garage+sale+to+what+she+is+looking+for.+Ms.+Kelli+Swehla+Photo.+

Students direct a customer at the garage sale to what she is looking for. Ms. Kelli Swehla Photo.

Kathleen Kenney, A&E Writer

On April 22, Xavier High School held a band garage sale, raising approximately $2,000 for the band department. This event has been going on for several years and is directed by Carol Vester, with help from other volunteers and students. Some of the other volunteers included Dianne Clarke, Kristen Perreault, and Julie Schnoebelen. Everyone involved in band was required to work one  shift. Products and snacks for the bake sale portion were donated by community members the night before the sale. If the donations were not sold, they were given to a variety of organizations, including St. Vincent de Paul and the Salvation Army.

“The proceeds go to the band account,” Xavier High School band director Ms. Kelli Swehla said. “It is used for whatever we might need. This time of year, it mostly goes toward repairing and cleaning school-owned instruments to get them ready for the following year.”

In addition to helping the band department, one might have found a variety of hidden gems for sale.

“I spotted an accordion and a portable typewriter this year,” senior Faith Satern said. “I also bought a nice pair of shoes for three dollars.”

To some participants, the community aspect was the best part of the sale.

“I like talking to people and seeing the types of people who come in,” Satern said.

And of course, one can never forget the feeling of giving back.

“It’s nice that we provide a service to the community and that the band students get to interact with community members,” Ms. Swehla said.

Whether one went to the band garage sale to help Xavier’s band department in the hope of finding something hidden, or for the community aspect, the garage sale provided an interesting way to bring people together and raise money for music.

Kathleen Kenney 

A&E Writer