Jazz band takes second

Keaton Maier, A&E Writer

Xavier Jazz Band One has been on a roll the past few years with record high scores and multiple showings at the Iowa Jazz Championships. This year, however, it managed to top all of its previous accomplishments. The group’s early success this season culminated in a second place finish in the 3A division at the Iowa Jazz Championships, the highest place the group has ever received. The group placed ahead of its rivals, Independence and Mount Pleasant, for the first time in school history. The Iowa Jazz Championships were held April 4 at the Iowa State University campus.

Iowa Jazz Championships is an invitational jazz band competition comprised of the most accomplished jazz bands in Iowa. Jazz Band One qualified as one of the 15 3A bands by placing second at the Northeast Iowa Bandmasters Association (NEIBA) district competition on March 4.

“Iowa Jazz Championships is a little like the Olympics,” Jazz Band One director Ms. Kelli Swehla said. “Every band is good and minimal scoring differences set apart each placement. It’s the fine details that really bring the performance to the next level.”

Jazz Band One made its first appearance at the Iowa Jazz Band Championships in 2015, and since then the group has continued to improve, and has made repeat appearances in 2016 and 2017. Its state runner-up recognition this year was a result of the group’s ongoing hard work as individuals and as sections.

Callie Fay were recognized as outstanding soloists. In addition to the outstanding soloist recognition, Burken was selected to the Iowa All- State Jazz Band in the 3A division.

“It was a really big honor since it is a very selective group,” Burken said. Jazz Band One had its final performance April 18 at the Xavier Catholic Schools Jazz Festival.