Students save lives with blood

Katelyn Gibbs (X18) donates blood during the blood drive on April 5. Emiko Coffey Photo.

Lizzie Leu, News Writer

When one donates a pint of blood, one has a chance of saving three lives. Senior Camryn Miller is well aware of this fact. She, along with several other seniors, will get to have a red cord to wear with their robes when they graduate. This is called the “Gallon Graduate” award and indicates that they have donated blood eight times, equaling a gallon, before graduating high school.

“Our  school seems to have the most ambitious students when it comes to earning the ‘Gallon Graduate’ award,” Xavier nurse Mrs. Kris Naeve said.

On April 5, Xavier High School hosted a blood drive for its students and faculty. The drive was conducted by the Mississippi Valley Regional Blood Center and lasted from 8 a.m. until 1 p.m. Mrs. Naeve reported that about 40 students donated blood, including many first time donors. One first time donor was sophomore Audrey Dempewolf.

“I thought it was really fun. I’m not typically needle-shy,” Dempewolf said. “I wasn’t nervous until I saw the needle. However, I really liked it and wish I could do it more.”

Dempewolf plans on donating more in the future and hopes to receive the “Gallon Graduate” award at her high school graduation. Another first time donor was senior Chen Yi Wang.

“It was scary at first because 525 milliliters seems like a lot,” Wang said. “But it wasn’t bad at all.”

Xavier hosts three blood drives each year, all of which serve as fundraisers for its health club, Health Occupation Students of America (HOSA). The club uses the funds it receives from the Mississippi Valley Regional Center to help pay for things such as the smoothies they serve at the health fair, and many other educational activities.

While Xavier High School only hosts three blood drives a year, the Catholic community hosts one every 56 days. During the summer, Xavier HOSA members meet with each of the parishes in the Cedar Rapids area to coordinate schedules to make sure there will be a blood drive either at Xavier or at a church every 56 days. This works out perfectly because each blood donor can only donate every 56 days.

Only 38% of the U.S. population is eligible to donate blood, but less than 10% actually donate. Those who are eligible and would like to donate can contact the Mississippi Valley Regional Blood Center at (319)-377-4623 and schedule an appointment.

Lizzie Leu

News Writer