Speech makes all-state

Kayla Semour, A&E Writer

Xavier High School’s large group speech season came to a close with three categories receiving non-performing all-state recognition.

Xavier’s performance of Over the River included juniors Caleb Burken, Cara Hassenstab, Michael Olberding, Rylee Wegmann and sophomore Grant Schnoebelen.

“It was so rewarding to hear people laughing at lines that we had been working so hard on,” Hassenstab said.

Musical Theater’s Spamalot starred seniors Brett Biermann, Liam Karr, Connor Miller, Lucas Miller, David O’Brien, Sam Rohret, junior A.J. Helgeson, and sophomore Schnoebelen.

“I am thankful to have been given the opportunity to work with the people involved in Spamalot,” Connor Miller said. “It has been a great way to go out with a bang senior year.”

Reader’s Theater The Internet is Distract…Oh Look, A Kitten! featured senior Jennifer Willie, juniors Sarah Bouska, Annie Fettkether, Kathleen Kenney, Camryn McPherson, Olberding, Kirsten Smith, sophomore Alli Scallon, and freshmen Kieran Coe, Nicole Constant, Haley Cummings, Sean Deegan, and Mia Streif.

“My skit was about a girl who was on the computer and all the websites were trying to take control of her brain,” McPherson said. “I’ll miss performing this skit the most.”

The end of the season for large group speech means the work is just beginning for individual speech. Individual speech practices began in early February. Individual and large group speech do not have the same categories, but require similar talents, ranging from singing to acting. Speech competitions consist of district, state, and, finally, all-state.

The individual speech showcase was held on February 20 at Xavier High School. Community members were invited to watch the speech performances and give feedback to the performers. Individual speech’s district competition will take place on Saturday, February 25.

Kayla Seymour

A&E Writer