AD views

Tim Globokar, Opinion Writer

Xavier is lacking a rare commodity at the moment; an activities director. Everyone seems to take these people for granted, but now more than ever, we need to realize that it is hard to find the right person for the job. An activities director has arguably the hardest job in a school and one of the most unique skill sets. Xavier students, teachers, and parents need to be more appreciative of activity directors and thank the people in these roles.

First, they have excruciating hours. They are often one of the first people in school and one of the last ones out. I remember countless times seeing Mr. Mike Winker still at school after finishing show choir practice at 9pm. He was often monitoring a basketball game or was hard at work in his office. They don’t have to go to every game, but people notice when they are missing. This makes it almost impossible to miss more than a few games a year for each activity without people noticing. This time commitment makes it hard to be able to balance both work, and having a family.

Activities directors take criticism almost every day for the choices they have to make. Nobody is perfect, and making high stress decisions are not easy. Many people within our school are now realizing that life was a lot easier when there was an activities director due to the lack of one currently.

Both Mr. Mike Winker and Mr. Steve Lueck deserve more credit than what they receive. Because our school doesn’t currently have someone in this position, Mr. Tom Keating has been forced to play both parts. As a student body, we should thank him for it. It is not an easy job to fulfill. As a student at Xavier, I just want to say thank you to anyone who has to be in the position of activities director. You are appreciated. As the old saying goes, “You don’t know what you have until it is gone.”