Make the most of high school

Senior Shelby Olson poses side by side with her first grade self. Shelby Olson Photo and Mary Mathis Photo.

Shelby Olsen, Co Editor in Chief

As high school is coming to a close for the seniors, I, like many others, have had time to reflect on my past high school experiences. Not only have I been able to see how far I’ve come, I have also been able to learn a few things about myself along the way.

For as long as college has been an idea for me, I’ve wanted out of Iowa. I had no other reason to want out besides thinking it was the only way to experience new things. As time has passed, I’ve realized that going to college in Iowa is not a bad thing, and it won’t stop you from experiencing new things, meeting new people, and ultimately, being happy. There is so much time in life to travel where you want, experience new things, and reach the goals you have set for yourself. Don’t let anyone tell you staying in state for college is a bad idea, because that is far from the truth. I wish I would have realized earlier that I have so much time to ski in Colorado, live in a big city like Chicago or New York, and rock climb in Yosemite.

High school flies by. You’ve heard it 1000 times, and you will continue to hear it, but trust me, it’s true. For some of you, that may be heartbreaking, but if you are like me, it’s exciting. High school is just a small part of your life; it does not define you. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t make it some of the best four years of your life. Relax, get your AP Lit homework in on time (I’m sorry, Ms. Hayes), and attend an occasional movie or dinner with your parents because one day, you won’t get the chance to do these things.

Lastly, hold back the stress. These are the easy years,  you will have time to stress when you are much older balancing both a job and a family. These four years are what you make of them, so don’t look back and wish you could have done more. Support the athletic department, attend a play, and eat the Uncrustables at lunch. Don’t neglect these things because you are stressed about a small quiz or simply because you are too tired. The time will come when you need to grow up, so cherish the last few moments you have as a kid.

Remember to take a deep breath, and make the most of every moment. Do this for your future self so you can look back and reflect on the great times you had as a high school student. Don’t let yourself regret it; it’ll be over faster than you know it.