DeVos stirs controversy

Noah Lynch, News Writer

In the fall of 2016, an estimated 50.4 million students attended public primary and secondary schools throughout the United States. With millions of students and future generations at stake, lawmakers and education advocates have been at odds for years. In the past few months, the U.S. Department of Education has seen more controversy than ever.

On February 7, Betsy DeVos was con rmed as the Education Secretary in President Donald Trump’s cabinet. DeVos was arguably the most controversial nominee, mostly for her lack of experience in public education and large donations to the Republican party in the past. After weeks of protest and an all night hearing on the Senate oor, DeVos’ con rmation was one of the closest in history; 51-50. When two Republican senators joined the Democrats in voting against DeVos, the vote was tied, and Vice President Mike Pence cast a historic tie-breaking vote to con rm her. The two Republicans who voted against DeVos were senators Susan Collins of Maine and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska.

“I have serious concerns about a nominee to be Secretary of Education who has been so involved in one side of the equation, so immersed in the push for vouchers, that she may be unaware of what actually is successful within the public schools,

and also what is broken and how to x them,” Senator Murkowski said. On top of all of that, Thomas Massie, a House representative from Kentucky’s 4th district, introduced a controversial bill on the same day. The bill, in full, is only one sentence and has seven other sponsors. It reads: “The Department of Education shall terminate on December 31, 2018.” While the bill may seem outlandish at rst, it is not the rst time this idea has been brought up. Presidents Trump and Ronald Reagan, along with former Texas Governor Rick Perry, have all expressed similar ideas in the past. The bill has no speci c plan outlined, but abolishing the $68 billion department with over 4,000 employees would be no small task. Massie later released a statement further elaborating. “Unelected bureaucrats in Washington, D.C. should not be in charge of our children’s intellectual and moral development,” Massie said. “States and local communities are best positioned to shape curricula thatmeettheneedsoftheirstudents.” With new leadership and a lot controversy surrounding the Department of Education, the conversation will continue on what is best for America’s youth.