Team chemistry important for girls’ basketball

Freshman Caitlynn Daniels dribbles the ball in a game against West Des Moines Valley. Becky Stovie Photo.

Hannah Williams, Sports Writer

The Xavier girls’ basketball team is currently ranked 7th in 4A with hopes to keep moving up. Their current record is 7-6. Through all of their work during practice, they have been able to win many games collectively. Some of these games include Linn-Mar, Jefferson, and Davenport Assumption. They also have had close games with Cedar Falls (45-51) and Iowa City West (35-44). “We need to keep the end goal in mind,” senior guard Kiana Stanek said. “We are going through a little rough patch right now, but we are all just going to keep working hard to overcome it and get another win streak going.” The team is led by senior captains Kylie Brown, Lauren Cooling, Lexi Noonan and Stanek. The girls’ goals have consisted of playing for each other and not for themselves. This has helped them a lot this season, especially in close games. “I think the season has gone really well so far,” freshman point guard Caitlynn Daniels said. “We have won some key games and have moved up in the rankings.” The team as a whole has grown a lot over the past year. Last season, they finished with a record of 10-13. This season, defense has gotten sharper, they are helping each other out more, and their team chemistry has strengthened. “Most importantly is the overall chemistry of the players. They have collectively worked for each other and have wanted the very best for their teammates. They have found that team sports go much smoother when they ‘all win or lose’ as one, not a group of individual ‘me guys’ wanting just their own success,” head coach Tom Lilly said. “Great teams don’t worry about anything other than the process of getting better in practice. So far, they are a very unselfish bunch and are supportive of one another.” The girls’ game against Waterloo East on January 10, was postponed due to weather and was played on Tuesday, January 17. The Saints played 5A No. 2 Iowa City High, Friday, January 13. The Saints lost 59-40. The next time the girls are in action is on Friday, January 20 at Dubuque Hempstead.