Wrestling rakes in young athletes

Caitlin Kramer, Sports Writers

As the wrestling season starts, the Xavier Saints look to continually get better week by week.

“From the new guys learning about wrestling and going to meets for the first time to the veterans who have previously qualified for and placed at state, there will always be room for improvement for everyone,” senior Tommy Pudil (285) said. “The great thing about wrestling is that anything can happen.”

With a young team this year, it can be challenging to expect greatness right from the beginning. It can take some time for everyone to become acclimated to one another.

“This year we gained a lot of underclassmen and most of them are wrestling for the first time,” Pudil said. “In the first few weeks of the season, they’ve made amazing strides and I can already see great improvement.”

In a meet against Cedar Rapids Washington on December 1, the Saints collected five pins from junior Keegan Schultschik (120), sophomore Patrick Chambers (132), senior Josh Gerke (145), junior Collin Yanga (182), and senior Alex Francois (220). Xavier also wrestled on December 8 at home against Iowa City High, with the sole pin coming from Gerke.

The team placed 13 out of 25 teams at the Independence tournament. Gerke took first place, while Francois placed fourth and Schultschik sixth. The Saints also placed 13 out of 14 teams at the Mount Vernon Invitational. Gerke placed third, Pudil fourth, and Francois fifth in their respective weight classes.

Gerke has a solid start to his final season with a 12-1 record. He looks to be one of Xavier’s strongest wrestlers and a key component to the team this year.

“I’m looking forward to making memories with my teammates during my final season,” Gerke said. “I also really want to get back to state in the Wells Fargo Arena and finish on top of the podium.”

Xavier’s next meet is on January 5 against Dubuque Wahlert and Linn-Mar at Wahlert.