Xavier students work with TCR

Keaton Maier, A&E Writer

This Christmas season, Theatre Cedar Rapids (TCR) is presenting the musical Disney’s Beauty and the Beast. Among the crew is Xavier High School junior, Erin Marti. Marti works backstage where she helps move sets quickly and safely. This is Marti’s third show with TCR. She first worked spotlight for Mary Poppins in 2014, and then worked backstage for The Little Mermaid in 2015.

“I started on spotlight and I really liked it, but I didn’t know the cast very well,” Marti said. “I like backstage more because I get to talk to the cast. It’s fun to fake sing and dance with the crew.”

Since she began working on TCR productions, Marti has met many people and made countless friendships. According to Marti, the entire TCR environment is very welcoming.

“The cast and crew each show becomes your family,” Marti said.

In addition to Marti, multiple other Xavier students have been a part of TCR productions in the past, including senior Grace Schulte. Although not involved with Beauty and the Beast, Schulte has an impressive history of performing, including six roles on the TCR stage. Schulte began her acting career in third grade and fell in love with the art.

“There is something insanely special to me about getting up in front of a live audience, and TCR has been an amazing platform for me to do so,” Schulte said.

Working with TCR has given students great experience in the fine arts and opportunities to grow as individuals.

“I love working with TCR, and I highly recommend it,” Marti said.

Tickets for Disney’s Beauty and the Beast can be purchased online via the Theatre Cedar Rapids website.