Volleyball advances to state

Hannah Williams, Sports Writer

Coach Austin Filer has shaped the Xavier volleyball team into one of the strongest yet. This is Filer’s first year as head coach of the Saints. He has been working with the team since the summer to make sure they are prepared going into the state tournament.

“I am so thankful that this team as allowed me to be a part of their journey this year,” Filer said. “They have been dedicated from the beginning, starting with the first summer open gym.”

“I couldn’t be more proud of the growth that they have shown. Being a new coach is always challenging, but the support of the administration, parents, and student body has been phenomenal.”

The 6th ranked girls swept both Fort Madison and Clinton in matches 3-0, at their regional games Tuesday, October 25 and Monday, October 31. To advance them to the state tournament This will be Xavier’s fifth time appearing at the state meet in school history and the first since 2012.

“Knowing that all of our hard work has paid off this season feels amazing,” junior Charlotte Richards said. “All the countless hours in the gym have paid off because we have accomplished so much.”

The Saints played in the state tournament Tuesday, November 8 at 6 p.m. at the U.S. Cellular Center, where Xavier (31-9) faced Marion (34-9) in the quarterfinals. The state tournament runs from Tuesday, November 8 to Friday, November 11.