TEAMS work in business

Keaton Maier, News Writer

Xavier students worked with local business Four Oaks Family and Children’s Services to solve a real world problem through the TEAMS competition. TEAMS stands for teams evaluating, analyzing, and measuring systems. The organization pairs local businesses with groups of high school students to work together and solve actual problems that the businesses face.

Xavier’s team was tasked with creating an effective employee recognition system that was still affordable. Previously, Four Oaks did not employ a formal recognition program, which contributed to a lack of value felt by employees. This resulted in poor staff retention.

“It’s a real problem; the business wants a solution,” Xavier librarian and TEAMS moderator Mrs. Tracie Marshall said.

The Xavier team has been led in the past by math teacher Mrs. Barb Miltner, but was led this year by Mrs. Marshall. Students involved were selected by business teacher Mr. Tim O’Brien, Mrs. Miltner, and Mrs. Marshall for their ability to think outside the box and their success in business classes.

Xavier’s team consisted of five members: senior Piper Kesselring and juniors Emily Cunningham, Noah Kepros, Carter Kramer, and Ethan Lowder. For students, TEAMS offered an opportunity to apply concepts taught in the classroom to real world scenarios, as well as learn new ideas and strategies used in a business setting. For students wishing to enter into a business profession after their education, the experience gained through TEAMS is invaluable.

“I decided to get involved because I felt like it would be a good experience to increase my problem solving skills and help a business in our community,” Lowder said. “Overall, it comes down to the experience, and the more I can get in this field, the better.”

On October 18, participants met at the Kirkwood Training Center in Marion for training in business tools applicable to problem solving. After training, the teams solved hypothetical issues and presented their solutions to practice the skills they were taught.

“I personally am not a business person, but I learned a lot,” Mrs. Marshall said.

The group presented their solution to Four Oaks on November 2 and received a score for their presentation, graded by a Four Oaks representative.