Battle Royals Review

Clara Petri, A&E Writer

Before the Hunger Games, there was Battle Royale. The film, directed by Kinji Fukasaku, is one of the best foreign adventure films of the 2000s. The plot centers around 42 students fighting to death on a deserted island. They are given a bag with a randomly selected weapon, some food and water rations, and a map. They must fight until only one is left standing or else the electronic collars worn around their necks will explode. As soon as I started watching this film, it had a very Lord Of the Flies plot going on…Students on an island without adult supervision, what could go wrong?
The film follows around one couple; Nanahara and Nakagawa, trying to hide from the deranged students and trying to find a way off the island.
Battle Royale is a beautiful film that uses natural lighting and the island’s nature scene well. It is an action packed film with emotions running high throughout the whole movie. Teenage love drizzles in and out with some quotable scenes that are comical in such a serious movie. Do not let that fool you, Battle Royale is incredibly gory and tense throughout.
Renowned director Quentin Tarantino has been quoted to say Battle Royale is one of his favorite movies. The audience has to give their trust into the characters but as time runs out, the questions increase and you will be hanging on the edge of your seat. Battle Royale is one of my favorite movies ever because every time I watch it, I notice something new from the last time and it still makes my heart race with excitement. If you enjoy adventure films with a tinge of thriller, this one is perfect.