Saints honor seniors, survivors

Maria Steffen, Sports Writer

The Xavier volleyball team ended their regular conference play with a home game against Cedar Rapids Kennedy honoring the seniors and people affected by breast cancer. The program had four seniors this year, Jessica Callahan (varsity), Ellie Malecek (junior varsity), Lexi Noonan, (varsity), and Emily Roe (junior varsity). All four were honored with flowers, introduced in front of all the fans, and had a photo collage filled with pictures of them playing volleyball over the years.

After playing volleyball for four years, they have lots of memories to hold close to their hearts.

“Winning the Washington Invitational and North Scott Invitational this year are a few of my favorites,” Callahan said.

These four girls have formed a special bond over the years. From practices and games to van rides and team dinners, they were able to become friends on and off the court.

“The other three seniors are great people and I can always count on them,” Noonan said. “They are great teammates and even better friends.”

This very same night was also named “Dig Pink Night.” This was to honor people currently fighting breast cancer, breast cancer survivors, and other families or friends who were affected by this disease.

One particular Saint, junior defensive specialist Janessa Klein, is all too familiar with breast cancer. Her mother was diagnosed with breast cancer last year. The Klein family refused to let the cancer come between them and pull them apart.

“Breast cancer has brought my family a lot closer and helped strengthen our faith life,” Klein said. Knowing the game was honoring breast cancer meant a lot to her and is something Klein will remember in times to come.

“Seeing students in the student section sporting pink for breast cancer awareness felt amazing, and I know my mom felt the same way,” Klein said.

The Saints played in the MVC tournament held at Xavier on October 15, winning the consolation game against Cedar Rapids Jefferson. They open regional play on Tuesday, October 25 against the winner of the game between Fort Madison and Keokuk.