Saints aim to finish strong

Caitlin Kramer, Sports Writer

Reaching the final year of participation in a sport is both an accomplishment and a bittersweet moment for an athlete. After four years of hard work and dedication, senior athletes  have finally made their way up the totem pole and now have to say goodbye to their high school career. Throughout the years, they have made such strong bonds and friendships that will last a lifetime.

Every year, Xavier declares one football game as Senior Night. Senior Night acknowledges all of the seniors in that particular sport or activity. On Friday, September 16, Xavier recognized all seniors in football, cheerleading, and band before and during halftime of the football game. Often times, seniors use senior night as a time to reflect on their past four years.

“One of my favorite football memories from the past four years was moving up to varsity sophomore year and getting to be on the field at the UNI Dome,” senior receiver Brett Burns said.

Of the 63 players on the varsity roster, 30 of them are seniors. A large portion of them have played football all four years at Xavier and all through middle school together.

“I’m looking forward to getting closer to my teammates and enjoying one final season with the guys I’ve grown up with,” senior defensive back Josh Gerke said.

The Saints hosted Charles City on Senior Night. Xavier had a forceful start, coming out with a 35-0 lead halfway through the third quarter. Senior quarterback Bryce Schulte threw for four touchdowns to Burns, sophomore Quinn Schulte, and two to senior Nolan Butkowski. Senior running back Maliki Wilson also scored for the Saints. Xavier came out on top, 35-7.

The following week, on September 22, the Saints looked for revenge at Decorah. Last season, Decorah beat Xavier in the playoffs and was the only team to beat the undefeated Saints. This year, however, Xavier came ready to play. They scored on their first three possessions with touchdowns from Burns, Wilson, and Schulte. They also scored on touchdown runs from Wilson and senior Erik Rodriguez. Senior Shane Scott also added a 44-yard field goal to seal the game. Xavier won 38-6.

The Saints then hosted a winless Independence for their Homecoming game on September 30. Xavier dominated the game from beginning to end with over 400 yards of total offense. Bryce Schulte threw for two touchdowns, to Quinn Schulte and Rodriguez, and ran for two touchdowns as well. Wilson also had two rushing touchdowns and Scott kicked a 34-yard field goal. The Saints held the Mustangs to 37 yards of total offense, breaking the previous school record, 42 yards, for best defensive effort. Xavier  won 45-0.

Xavier looks to remain unbeaten as they play at Waverly-Shell Rock (4-2, 3-1) on Friday, October 7.