Count Your Blessings

Maria Steffen, Sports Writer

We are often reminded that each and every new person who comes into our life is a blessing. Living these days to the fullest and being servants of Christ in our community is our way of accepting these blessings. Every day is a new day, and we can do whatever we want with it. Take a walk outside, help your grandparents, donate your time, try something new, the possibilities are endless.

Believe me, I understand that life gets busy, especially as a high school student. Between homework, after school activities, and a job, there is little time for anything else. With this being said, the people around us deserve a small part of our time each day. Here are some easy ways to not take our days for granted and appreciate the people in our lives:

1. Tell your parents about your day when you get home from school. Most days I can’t wait to go home and share some good news about my day. Others, not so much. The other day I found myself texting my mom in the middle of the day and telling her I was having the worst day ever. Just texting her about it made my day a little bit better. I know sometimes you have the longest day at school and the last thing you want to do is come home and talk about it, but it is the least you can do. On the other hand, when they ask how your day was, the last thing they want to hear is “fine.” Our parents pay for our education and they care about what we learn.

2. Say a big, “thank you” to your teachers. The teachers at Xavier do SO much for us, and more times than not, none of them get recognized for it. When you walk past a teacher out of a classroom, just saying a simple, “Thanks!” might make their day.

3. Give your time to the community. The community of Cedar Rapids is currently in the stages of cleaning and rebuilding our city. A lot our homes or families were not directly effected by flood, but a lot of people were. Their homes and businesses which mean so much to them, are now damaged. Now, quite a few Xavier students helped with sandbagging and various other things before the flood hit. This does not exempt anyone from not helping others after the flood washes away the lives of others. Get out in the community, and do some good for others.

4. Fit time in for your friends by doing homework with them. High School goes by so fast, and friends are something we all need to cherish while we have the time. During the week, it is hard to find time for all your friends with the various activities going on after school. Homework is something everyone needs to do and it will not make the work load seem as heavy. Plus, you get to hang out with your friends while doing it.

Don’t let the rough days get to you. Learn to live life to the fullest and count your blessings everyday.