Freshman Retreat

Ellie Fischer, News Writer

img_4772The class of 2020 kicked off their spiritual journey at Xavier by gathering together on September 16 to participate in the freshman retreat. This retreat, organized by the Campus Ministry Department, focused on connecting students to each other and to the Xavier community.

“During today’s retreat, I learned that throughout my years at Xavier, I will get closer to both God and my classmates,” freshman Grace Ries said.

Senior mentors, along with Father Dustin Vu, Mrs. Erica Ireland, Mrs. Sue May, Mrs. Stephanie Wendt, Mr. Nick Satterlee, and Mrs. Jody Esker, took on the responsibility of leading the freshman class through the day of prayer and activity.

The class of 2020 had the opportunity to engage in a variety of different class-bonding activities, including life-size tic-tac-toe and the “human
machine.”

For many, the highlight of the retreat was an analogy Mrs. Wendt illustrated with clay.

“My favorite part of the day was when we broke into groups and saw Mrs. Wendt’s demonstration,” Ries said. “When she was forming the clay, she talked about how it was like God forming us.”

There was also time set aside for the students to spend with God. Father Vu presided over the first mass that the freshman class spent together. His homily was about how they must be patient as God forms them to be the person He desires them to be. Students also had quiet reflection time to write letters to themselves that they will open as seniors.

“I hope that the freshmen left the day feeling more connected to Xavier and united as a freshman class,” Mrs. Ireland said. “They will bring a lot of energy to Xavier.”