Get out of your comfort zone

Jane Hill, Feature Writer

As senior year comes to an end, I finally have accepted my admission to the University of Colorado, Boulder (Go Buffs!). Recently confirming my decision made me think of what the future has in store for me, but also all that led to my decision; all of the people and experiences that have made me who I am today.

An experience that ultimately shaped who I am today was my volunteer trip to Argentina over the summer of 2016. I was traveling to a foreign place where I knew no one and could barely speak the language (even though I took four years of Spanish in high school). I met people from all over the world and I was able to hear their thoughts on many different controversial topics. How our daily lives differed, and more. But really, I just got to connect with different people and do something out of the ordinary. I was extremely nervous before I went and debated even going. The trip allowed me to push myself out of my comfort zone, and it gave me a new outlook on life. I’m extremely grateful for that opportunity because it has taught me so much.

This leads me to ask: trying new things or hanging out with new people can be intimidating, but if you don’t put yourself out there and try it, how will you ever really know what could have been?

If I could give any advice to kids going into high school or who are currently in high school, I would say be as uncomfortable as possible. If you are comfortable, you’re missing out on something new. I would not be where I am today if I would have stayed in my comfort zone. Always be looking to make more friends and experience new things. The people you meet and things you do in high school can determine how you spend the rest of your life, but it also helps shape who you are as a person. Be accepting and open to all things, and life will take you crazy places. High school is only a mere fragment of your life, so what’s next?

Jane Hill

Feature Writer