There’s no place like home

Peyton Ross, Health and Lifestyle Writer

I never thought a Lululemon shopping bag would have such an impact on my high school social environment. However, I sat down on August 18, for my first lunch at my new school in California. As I looked around at the new faces, I couldn’t help but notice every girl peeking into their Lululemon bag and pulling out their lunch for the day. Clearly, I didn’t get the memo! I immediately wondered why almost every girl in the cafeteria used it as a lunch box. I felt intimidated and wanted to fit in so badly, so I went out and bought Lululemon products so I could have one for myself. After realizing what I had done, I was so ashamed I wanted to conform. I never actually used the Lululemon bag as a lunch box. I realized it shouldn’t be about what type of lunch box I had. I thought people would just like me for who I was, but I was clearly wrong about this assumption. I was shocked by how shallow and materialistic the students were. At first, people were generally nice. They introduced themselves but they didn’t bother to get to know me. I was just another irrelevant new girl to them.

I didn’t have a typical start to my senior year like most people. Everything was different. I felt completely and utterly lost. When I moved to California, I was entirely clueless about what to expect. I was accepted into an amazing school with outstanding academic records and athletic programs. I couldn’t have been more thrilled to attend. I fell in love with all of my classes and adored all of my teachers. What else could possibly go wrong? Unfortunately, my school in California lacked the sense of community that I strongly desired back at Xavier. I came across girls who put me down and made me feel miserable; as if being new wasn’t hard enough. The girl who was my first “close friend” completely alienated me solely because her crush complimented me. In reality, I wasn’t prepared for the huge culture shock where I had to conform to the “leaders.” I desperately missed the Xavier environment where I had the freedom to be whoever I wanted to be.

Cedar Rapids may not have the most extraordinary views, but the people here are beyond ordinary. The Xavier community has had an everlasting impact on who I am as a person. Xavier has taught me to encourage and embrace who I am as an individual, and I’m forever appreciative of that value. I now feel more prepared for college due to the independence I gained from this experience in my life. It was hard moving away from my family, but I wanted to enjoy my senior year. I am thankful to my parents for trusting me to move back to Iowa and to my friends for being so accepting. I believe everything happens for a reason, and I feel this lesson was a gift, because I will never take my life in Cedar Rapids for granted.

Peyton Ross

Health and Lifestyle Writer