Remember where you came from

Emily Nauman, Backpage Writer

As the last few days of senior year are approaching faster than I could have ever have imagined, I reflect on my four years as a Xavier Saint. Through all of the ups and downs that came along with high school, I would not trade it for anything. Not only has Xavier shaped me into the person I am today, but people, such as my teachers and friends, helped contribute to what makes me, me. These people have gotten me to where I am today, but the most important and influential ones are my parents.

There is not a doubt in my mind that I would not have made it through high school without them. With all of the drama that comes along with being a teenager, taking their advice has gotten me through it all.

For all of you underclassmen, appreciate your parents. Sure, going out with your friends on the weekends is fun, but don’t forget who will be up at 12:30 a.m. waiting to make sure you get home safely. Although I have been guilty of ditching my parents on Saturday nights because they’re “not as fun,” I’ll realize in college that I took them sleeping down the hall from me for granted.

As for the seniors, don’t forget to FaceTime your parents every once in awhile when you are in college. I promise you’ll miss them just as much as they’ll miss you. Invite them up for a visit or come home every so often. Remember what they spent 18 years teaching you, because I know mine have always been right, even when sometimes it doesn’t seem that way.

So, Mom and Dad, thank you for always having my back and never leaving my side. Thank you for teaching me to never give up and to be the best person I can be. I will forever carry the lessons that you taught me.

Emily Nauman

Backpage Writer