Miyako Anne, listen up . . .

Emiko Coffey, Photo Editor

In the fall, you and I will be starting new schools in our new homes; you at Xavier and me at Columbia in Chicago, four hours away. No longer being annoyingly close to each other at the house on Grande, here are some things I NEED you to remember . . .

1.) You are a Coffey, and Coffeys dream big. Don’t be afraid to shoot for the stars, because knowing you, you will land on Mars.

2.) Find what you are passionate about, master it, and share your gift with the world.

3.) Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

4.) Stay out of my room.

5.) Take art classes. The art room was my home the past four years, and I hope you can find a home there too.

6.) Adding on to that, make sure you come to your painting final with your painting finished. Mrs. Wendt won’t be happy if it’s not, take my word for it.

7.) Stand up for yourself, others, and what you believe in.

8.) Persist, Miyako Anne persist.

9.) You are a gem, and if any boy thinks he is worthy enough to date you, I must background check him first. Only the best deserve you.

10.) Xavier allows six demerits per semester, so be late to a class, or two, or even six.

11.) Go to hot yoga before school with Mom.

12.) When Dad speaks in Japanese, listen and learn the words. Our culture is what makes us special; embrace it and love it.

13.) On that note, take Japanese at Washington. Getting to experience two completely different high schools made me appreciate the aspects that made each of them their own.

14.) Knowledge is power; educate yourself not only on school subjects but also with what is going on in the world.

15.) Remember the platinum rule: treat others the way they would like to be treated.

16.) Take risks and regret nothing. #YOLO

17.) Be somebody who makes you proud.

Our lives are about to change drastically. One thing that will never change is that you are my little sister, no matter how tall you get. I am your biggest fan, and I will always be proud of you. I will always love you, and the house on Grande will always be our home.

Emiko Coffey

Photo Editor