Xavier tennis is back in action

Mahlon Steepleton, Sports Writer

The Xavier boys’ tennis team is returning five out of six  varsity players from last year’s varsity team.

This year, the team consists of juniors  Alex Hinrichs, Jon Lansing, and Curt Lengemann, and seniors Charlie Esker, Ryan Jasper, Blake Magill.

Magill expects big things from his team this season.

“Our team is the strongest that it’s ever been,” Magill said. “I think this year, we could make it to state.”

Lansing is another player to watch for this tennis season. He  made it to state as a freshman, and hopes to get back this year.

“My goals are to have a singles and doubles record better than .500 and to make it to state in either a singles or doubles competition,” Lansing said.

He hopes the team can succeed as well.

“Our team’s goals are to win more meets than last season and to make it to state,” Lansing said.

The boys’ next meet is at home Saturday, April 22, against Cedar Rapids Kennedy. First match begins at 8 a.m.

With no seniors on the girls’ tennis team this year, the juniors will have to step up and be the team’s leaders. The girls’ team is led by juniors  Nina Marquardt, Camryn McPherson, and Sarah Schirm, and sophomores Maddie Abu-Nameh and Emily Jasper.

Marquardt     is  the top     returning player from last year’s team. Marquardt has been playing tennis ever since fifth grade.

“My goal is to do my best,” Marquardt said.“ I’m going to be playing against a lot of the top players in the state. I hope to just do my best against all of them and improve a lot. My goal is to make it to state this year and next year.”

Marquardt and Jasper play doubles together. Marquardt’s team goals consist of her and Jasper making it to state this year and next year as a doubles team.

“Our team’s goals are to be the best in the MVC and improve over the season,” Marquardt said. “A lot of tennis is a mental game, and we have worked on that a lot so far this year.”

Marquardt almost made it to state last year, but lost in a tie-breaker.

The girls’ next  meet  is    at Kennedy on

Saturday, April 22. First match begins at 8 a.m.

Mahlon Steepleton

Sports Writer