Assistant coaches contribute to success

Maria Steffen, Sports Writer

Behind the well-known Xavier boys’ basketball head coach Ryan Luehrsmann, there is a large supporting cast of assistant coaches who are not always recognized.

Luehrsmann’s right-hand man is Coach Dan Hillers. Beside him is Coach Andy Allen, who has been coaching for seven years, Coach Matt Foxhoven, who has been in the basketball program for five years, and Coach Brad Stovie, who has 23 years under his belt.

“We have some of the best assistant coaches in the state and I am blessed to work with them,” Luehrsmann said. “They are vital in helping us get the most out of our team each and every season.”

These coaches might not always receive the glory for the wins, but the players give something to them they cannot get anywhere else.

“I get the opportunity to connect with all of our players,” Foxhoven said. “These are such great kids and they all make me feel appreciated as a coach.”

Each assistant coach is assigned a role by Luehrsmann. They believe their role is just as important as the head coach’s. These roles vary from teaching life lessons or keeping the bench focused on connecting with the players.

“The most important aspect of what I do as an assistant coach is making sure the skills these boys learn throughout the season will be beneficial when they leave high school,” Allen said. “Another important aspect is to show them that their faith can be celebrated in all aspects of life.”

These coaches feel honored to be a part of the Xavier basketball program under Coach Luehrsmann.

“I am very grateful that I am allowed to be a part of Xavier athletics,” Stovie said. “I would do anything for Coach Luehrsmann that will keep him relaxed and focused at all times.”

The Saints played on Tuesday, December 20 at Cedar Rapids Kennedy. They can be caught in action next Tuesday, January 3 at Davenport Assumption.